Mads Mikkelsen: Find out who he is – the actor chosen to replace Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beastsby Equipe Potterish
Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen was chosen by Warner Bros. Pictures to replace Johnny Depp in the role of Gerardo Grindelwald in the fantastic beasts franchise.
Depp resigned from the role at the studio’s request on November 6. The premiere of the third Fantastic Beasts, which takes place in Brazil, was postponed for the second time, to July 14, 2022, after the actor’s departure.
Who is Mads Mikkelsen
By Marina Anderi, Pedro Martins and Rodrigo Cavalheiro
Mads Mikkelsen is a 54-year-old Danish actor. On stage since 1996, he is considered one of the main personalities of contemporary cinema in Denmark. Mikkelsen collects awards and, in 2012, won the most important of his career, the Best Actor at the Cannes Film Festival for the film The Hunt.
Recognized in Hollywood, Mikkelsen’s talent is no stranger to blockbusters, in which he often portrays characters who act against the ‘good guys’ such as magizoologist Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne in Fantastic Beasts.
Mikkelsen played the James Bond antagonist in 007: Casino Royale (2006), a role that led him to international fame, and Doctor Strange’s villain (2016), Kaecilius. His participation as the serial killer protagonist of the television series Hannibal (2013–2015) also garnered fans and industry recognition.
Locker to make Gerardo Grindelwald, the ambitious wizard and manipulator of Fantastic Beasts, Mads Mikkelsen has to spare.
The departure of Johnny Depp
Despite leaving the role of Grindelwald, Johnny Depp isexpected to receive his full salary of about $10 million for the third film in the franchise, for which he filmed only one scene.
After the actor’s departure, the premiere of the third Fantastic Beasts was postponed. The film was scheduled to hit theatres in November 2020, but was rescheduled for November 2021 and now for July 2022, according to news site Deadline.
Fantastic Beasts 3 was scheduled to be filmed from March 2020. Pre-production and testing had already been completed, but the coronavirus’s arrival in England halted production.
Months later, with permission from the British health authorities, filming began on September 20, 2020, without an official announcement by Warner Bros. Pictures, just as it happened with The Batman.
The Hollywood Reporter also reported that Depp’s departure will not cause changes in the filming schedule, as the studio was already climbing Mikkelsen to the role.
Fantastic Beasts 3
Mads Mikkelsen will act alongside Eddie Redmayne (Newt Scamander), Katherine Waterston (Tina Goldstein), Alison Sudol (Queenie Goldstein), Dan Fogler (Jacob Kowalski), and Jude Law as interpreter for Professor Albus Dumbledore.
Written by J.K. Rowling and Steve Kloves, Fantastic Beasts 3 is directed by David Yates. The film will have scenes set in Rio de Janeiro and Berlin, capital of Germany.
- Harry Potter makes J. K. Rowling the best-selling author of 2020 in BrazilSeries sold about 500,000 copies, nielsen report shows
- Cursed Child piece will be cut and adapted for single presentation; see return scheduleIn some cities, piece will have a single part, while in others there will be two, as before
- With Daniel Radcliffe, comedy Miracle Workers is renewed for season 3Daniel Radcliffe: Series premieres in July in the U.S. and should arrive in Brazil in the coming months
- ‘I would accept any chance to be a Malfoy again,’ says Tom FeltonTom Felton: Actor also stated that he remains close to the cast of Harry Potter
- Emma Watson Movies: 5 non-Harry Potter you NEED to watchEmma Watson Movies: From rereading marilyn monroe’s life to Noé’s, the actress got involved with Hollywood big names
- Emma Watson decides to put her career on holdEmma Watson: Her last work was filmed in 2018