Daniel Radcliffe answers J.K. Rowling’s tweets about transgender people: “I am deeply sorry for the pain”by Pedro Martins
Actor Daniel Radcliffe, known for playing Harry Potter in the movies, wrote an article to answer J.K. Rowling’s declarations about transgender people on Saturday (6).
The text written by Radcliffe was published in the Trevor Project website, an NGO which gives emotional support to LGBT+ people and works on suicide prevention.
The actor starts the article by saying that, although the declarations might seem like a fight between him and J.K. Rowling, that’s not the point. “Just as a human being, I feel compelled to say something at this moment”, he wrote.
On Saturday evening, J.K. Rowling published messages considered transphobic by the Harry Potter fans. The author wrote that denying biological sex is prejudicial to women’s fight against misogyny.
In the article, Radcliffe says that “trans women are women” and that unlike what J.K. Rowling says, it goes against recommendations from professional health specialists. “[we cannot] invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm”, he wrote.
He also wrote about how fans can keep the relationship they have with the Harry Potter books after being let down by its author. He mentions the lessons that the books taught the fans and that it can remain unaltered.
Read Daniel Radcliffe’s article
I realize that certain press outlets will probably want to paint this as in-fighting between J.K. Rowling and myself, but that is really not what this is about, nor is it what’s important right now. While Jo is unquestionably responsible for the course my life has taken, as someone who has been honored to work with and continues to contribute to The Trevor Project for the last decade, and just as a human being, I feel compelled to say something at this moment.
Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I. According to The Trevor Project, 78% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. It’s clear that we need to do more to support transgender and nonbinary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm.
“Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations”– Daniel Radcliffe
I am still learning how to be a better ally, so if you want to join me in learning more about transgender and nonbinary identities check out The Trevor Project’s Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth. It’s an introductory educational resource that covers a wide range of topics, including the differences between sex and gender, and shares best practices on how to support transgender and nonbinary people.
To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you. I really hope that you don’t entirely lose what was valuable in these stories to you. If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, nonbinary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life — then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred. And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much.
- Hogwarts After Dark Warmly Invites Guests to a Delicious and Spooky Evening at 2023.Hogwarts After Dark Warner Bros. Studios continues their 2023 Halloween Celebrations with the return of Hogwarts After Dark. This event is an opportunity for guests to visit the Studios Tour and feast on on… Read more: Hogwarts After Dark Warmly Invites Guests to a Delicious and Spooky Evening at 2023.
- An Exciting Look At Warner Bros. Studios’ Halloween 2023 CelebrationWarner Bros. Studios’ Halloween: The Dark Arts Warner Bros. Studios’ Halloween sees The Dark Arts returning from September 15th until November 5th 2023. The London studio will be setting stage for a spooky Halloween… Read more: An Exciting Look At Warner Bros. Studios’ Halloween 2023 Celebration
- Harry Potter “Cursed Child” breaks new box office record on BroadwayThe play on Broadway since April 2018, broke a new box office record: the highest weekly box office in the history of the Lyric Theatre, grossing a total of $2,671,191 (about $14.5 million at the current price)
- Harry Potter: A Forbidden Forest Experience Returns to Cheshire for 2022Harry Potter: A Forbidden Forest Experience is a nighttime experience that sees guest wander through a magical woodland trail filled with sounds, sights, and special effects that will enchant visitors and immerse them into the Forbidden Forest of the Wizarding World. Guests will be able to explore and discover a variety of creatures within the forest including Centaurs, Nifflers, Unicorns, and a Hippogriff.
- Hogwarts Legacy – What We Know So Far About The Exciting New Game For 2022Hogwarts Legacy is the upcoming open-world fantasy role-playing game set in the 1800s Wizarding World. The game gives fans the opportunity to transport themselves into their own story, creating their own protagonist, exploring Hogwarts and the world surrounding it, developing their wizardry skills, as well as a myriad of other fun adventures and challenges.
- Emmy Nominations for ” Outstanding ” Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to HogwartsThe 2022 special Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts has received two Emmy nominations. The reunion debuted on New Years Day on the streaming service HBO Max and was in celebration of the 20th Anniversary of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001).
- Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore is now available on HBO MaxFollowing its release in theaters worldwide, The Secrets of Dumbledore, third film in the Fantastic Beasts series is now available for streaming on HBO Max, in addition to virtual stores.
- MinaLima Reveals Fantastic Beast Dumbledore’s Secrets Graphic ArtsMinaLima: The award-winning Studio MinaLima and Warner Bros. Consumer Products launches on Tuesday, March 29, the new graphic arts book from the Warner Bros. saga. Fantastic Beastpictures: The Secrets of Dumbledore. The launch will be at the House of MinaLima in Soho, London.
- Official website reveals motivations of Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore’s characterThe Secrets of Dumbledore website has been updated to reveal the motivations of the main characters. The official website revealed the whereabouts of Newt Scamander, Albus Dumbledore, Gerardo Grindelwald, Queenie Goldstein, Jacob Kowalski, Credence/Aurelius, Lally Hicks, Teseu Scamander, Bunty, Aberforth and Yusuf Kama at the beginning of the third film in the series.